Summer news summary

The summer was lovely but also busy and I didn’t have time to post about all my activities. So here is a short catch up of the highlights.

In June, I attended the 11th Annual Meeting of the International Workshop on Language Production, in Pittsburgh, USA. This fantastic workshop, the only one of its kind, was the first in-person meeting since 2018, since the 2020 meeting had to be cancelled due to Covid. It was a thrill to see friends and colleagues again and to hear such stimulating and interesting talks. While there, I took part in a panel discussion about the job market in the US and Europe, entitled ‘Cross-continental Academic Lifestyle’ and presented some of my work investigating the distinctions beween langauges and dialects. I’m currently writing these findings up for publication, so stay tuned for a pre-print.

In July, I went to Jena, Germany to give a talk to an audience of psychologists and linguists from the University of Jena. My talk, Choose your words wisely: The role of semantic and sociolinguistic features in lexical selection, included some of the findings also shared in the poster above.