We are constantly looking for undergraduate/Masters students, PhD students and Postdoctoral Researchers to join our team. Please contact us to enquire about latest opportunities.
[Now closed] We are looking for a PhD student to undertake the following project. This is a fully-funded 3yr PhD studentship. Please apply by 28th February 2018.
PhD project title: Investigating the druggability of undruggable targets using the affinity directed protein missile system (AdPROM) in neurodegenerative disorders.
Primary supervisor: Dr. Gopal Sapkota; Secondary supervisor: Dr. Miratul Muqit
Progressive accumulation of misfolded protein aggregates is a hallmark of many age-related neurodegenerative disorders, which include Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease among others. These disorders affect millions of patients around the world and the incidences are set to increase further as the aging population rises globally. Despite much progress that has been made in understanding the pathogenesis and causes of many neurodegenerative diseases, conventional drug strategies have yielded no effective cures. As such, existing treatments are only able to alleviate symptoms of neurodegenerative disorders. Therefore, there is a great unmet need for effective treatments. Recently we reported the development of an affinity directed protein missile (AdPROM) system for efficient degradation of intracellular target proteins (Fulcher et al, 2017; Open biology). The report generated media coverage and much excitement due to its therapeutic potential in destroying disease causing proteins from afflicted cells and tissues. With this project, the prospective student will explore and develop the therapeutic potential of AdPROM to destroy misfolded proteins in cell and mouse models of Parkinson’s disease.
Candidate eligibility and requirements:
- Outstanding academic track record, with at least 2:1 or equivalent in Bachelors of Science or related degree
- Strong knowledge in areas of cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, neuroscience & neurodegenerative disorders and signal transduction is desired.
- Strong laboratory experience is desired.
- Willingness to work with transgenic mouse models is essential (no prior experience necessary as training will be provided)
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of the English language are essential.
- Candidates from any nationality with above qualifications is eligible to apply.
Please write to Gopal Sapkota (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further queries.